Monday, October 26, 2009

Recommended Colorado Guide Books

I love maps. I don't know what it is but I can sit and look at a map for hours studying the terrain, seeing how far away the next peak is, and planning future hikes. I also like to check out guide books. I figured I would post a few of my favorites here for you to check out.

The books on my bookshelf with the most wear and tear are...
Colorado's Fourteeners: From Hikes to Climbs by Gerry Roach
Colorado's Thirteeners: From Hikes to Climbs by Gerry Roach
Colorado Scrambles: A Guide to 50 Select Climbs in Colorado's Mountains Guide Book
by Dave Cooper
Rocky Mountain National Park: The Complete Hiking Guide by Lisa Foster

There are many others out there but Gerry Roach has a way of covering all of the major routes on the 13ers and 14ers without boring you with too much information. The Colorado Scramblers book picks some of the coolest routes on some amazing mountains as well as some great climbs on some mountains that otherwise would be boring (ex. North Ridge on Quandary). And Lisa Foster truly has developed the first 'Complete' guide to climbing the peaks in RMNP.

Check them out and let me know what you think. Feel free to post other favorites in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment