Thursday, September 17, 2009

Introduction

This site is being formed to be a resource for hikers. I plan on providing valuable information about climbing Colorado's 54 peaks taller than 14,000 feet. I also plan on providing information about hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) and other family friendly hikes across the Front Range.

I am an avid hiker. I have a deep passion for the mountains of Colorado. I was born in Iowa and managed to live there for 19 years before my thirst to live in the mountains was finally quenched. I have lived in Summit County, Durango, and Loveland. I began leisurely hiking in Colorado in 1996. I climbed my first 14er in 2005 and I immediately caught the fever. I have not climbed them all but I plan to finish climbing all of the top 100 peaks within a few years. I also love climbing interesting 13ers and nearly all the named peaks in Rocky Mountain National Park.

But this site is not about me. This site is about the mountains and about getting you into the mountains. I will provide information about the mountains, the gear necessary, and tips to keep you safe. There are other great sites available to find up to date information about current conditions, such as http://www.14ers.com/. While the forum sites are valuable in gaining knowledge about current conditions they quickly become hostile environments with people arguing and putting new comers down. I plan on covering the most commonly asked questions on those forums here where the information is easy to find and available in a safe and non intimidating environment.

My vision for this site is to be a place that you can come and educate yourself about the risks and rewards of climbing mountains. I will work on continually adding new content including lists, maps, trail information, and general tips. I may occasionally add a recent trip report but that won't be the focus of this site.

So check back often, give me feedback on what you like or don't like about the site, and be sure to share this site with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment